On Saturday the 28th of November various High and Primary Schools took part in the Knights Chess Academy Zimbabwe & Soul Trust 2015 End Grand Individual Schools Chess Tournament. An initiative organized by yours truly John Chibvuri Knights Chess Academy Zimbabwe Director and Soul Trust Chairperson Ms Moira Adler meant to fundraise for the less privileged but talented kids who are in the Zim Youth National Chess Team but are facing financial constraints. The youths are to take part in the Africa Youth Chess Championships slated for the 5th-13th of December 2015 in Lusaka Zambia. Venue was the Braeside Catholic Church Hall, Braeside Shops Harare. F.A Masimba Farirai was the Chief Arbiter. ZBC was there to give us TV coverage and publicity for the event.
St Johns Emerald Hill, Queen Elizabeth, Girls High, Vainona, Zengeza 3 High, Highfield 2 High, Budiriro1 High, ZRP Boarding School, Kwayedza High, Rakodzi High Marondera, Barnies Jnr Marondera, Willenita School of Chess Kwekwe (they had Camelot Group of Schools students and other Kwekwe Schools pupils), Knights Chess Academy Zimbabwe (had players from Shiriyedenga Pri, Kundayi Pri, and other Harare Schools students), Other schools that took part were; Eastridge Pri, Westridge Pri, Queensdale Pri, Twin Rivers Pri,Blakiston Pri, Waterfalls Gardens Primary.
90 players took part and the tournament had 4 main sections: U9 Jnr section PRIMARY SCHOOLS, U13 Snr section PRIMARY SCHOOLS, Boys section HIGH SCHOOLS, Girls section HIGH SCHOOLS.
And the winners in the respective sections:
U9 Jnr Section PRIMARY SCHOOLS:
1. Takunda Maxen of Willenita School of Chess Kwekwe
2. Tafadzwa Chaparamhosva of Twin Rivers Primary
3. Hazel Kachikwa of Willenita School of Chess Kwekwe
4. Rufaro Mangwende of Twin Rivers Primary
5. Tawanda Nhapata of Willenita School of Chess Kwekwe
For U13 Snr section PRIMARY SCHOOLS:
1. Lee-Roy Mpala of Willenita School of Chess Kwekwe,
2. Panashe Edward of Knights Chess Academy Zimbabwe but Shiriyedenga Pri. pupil
3. Herbert Mhlanga of Knights Chess Academy Zimbabwe
4. Sunganai Kariwo of Eastridge Primary
5. Rufaro Chikaka of Willenita School of Chess Kwekwe.
Boys Section HIGH SCHOOLS:
1. Brandon Jobe of Zengeza 3 High,
2. Lindon Zvinyenye of Highfield 2 High
3. Tafadzwa Zvidzai of ZRP Boarding School
4. Yeukai Mhlanga of Budiriro 1 High
5. Panashe Chimbwanda of Highfield 2 High
Girls section HIGH SCHOOLS:
1st is a ladies Chess Master i.e CANDIDATE MASTER Kundai Murinda of St Johns Emerald Hill (got a perfect 5/5! won all 5 games)
2. Rumbidzai Chimanja of Queen Elizabeth
3. Purity Makazhu of Girls High
4. Rejoice Risinamhodzi of Queen Elizabeth
5. Tinodaishe Chivhunga of Queen Elizabeth
There were the following prizes in the 2015 End Grand Individual Tournament (High School, Primary School Sections):
# 4 Floating Trophies for the winners’ respective Schools plus 4 shields for the individuals and Chess Sets for Winners in each Section;
1. Best Player Boys Section (High School)
2. Best Player Girls Section (High School)
3. Best Player U9 Jnr Section (Primary Section)
4. Best Player U13 Snr Section (Primary Section)
# All players who attained positions 1-3, in each of the 4 Sections, received a medal (Gold, Silver, Bronze) respectively…)
# Other prizes : Certificates,Chess Books for all top 5 players each section.
Knights Chess Academy Zimbabwe.. "Teach Them Young!". We believe in the Japanese philosophy "kaizen" i.e slow and continuous improvement. Thank you to all the schools for your support. We are looking forward to a great 2016!